Monday 30 October 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30th October, 2023.

30th October, 2023.


It’s officially Monday.

And … ?

I’m off to my weight management class, this morning.

And, once that’s done … ?

I’m off to Shenfield for a COVID jab.

It’s a busy ol’ day … 

~≈®≈~

Oh, I caught the first episode of AppleTV+’s Silo, last night.

I don’t think I’ll be reviewing it: I’ve got to prepare for a For All Mankind’s fourth series, and for a lot of Dr Who!

But … ?

That first episode is impressively dystopian …

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Counterfrasticly?   The day saw Trevor not leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        30th October, 1957, saw the UK’s House of Lord admit whom: female members, male members or members under 18?

Q2)        The Treaty of Vienna was signed on 30th October, 1864.   It saw which country concede territory: Denmark, Finland or Norway?

Q3)        President Eisenhower approved the NSC 162/2 policy paper: on 30th October, 1953.   It allowed the US to keep whet: nuclear weapons, chemical weapons or biological weapons?

Q4)        The first member of the EU to recognise the State of Palestine, did so on 30th October, 2014.   Which EU state was it?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Arthur Scherbius was born on 30th October, 1878.   He invented what: the Arithmometer mechanical computer, the Enigma cipher machine or the pump action harmonica pistol?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        29th October is Coronation Day.   It marks the coronation of King Sihamoni of where: Cambodia, Indonesia or Laos?
A1)        Cambodia.

Q2)        29th October is the feast day of Saint Abraham of Rostov.   Where is Rostov: Russia, Hungary or Bulgaria?
A2)        Russia.

Q3)        Sir Walter Raleigh was executed.   On 29th October of which year: 1617, 1618 or 1619?
A3)        1618.

Q4)        The biggest jewel heist in US history took place: on 29th October, 1964.   It was led by Murph the who: Surf, Turf or Smurf?
A4)        Murph the Surf.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Footballer, Billy Walker, was born on 29th October, 1897.   He played for whom: Aston Villa, West Ham or Manchester United?
A5)        Aston Villa.

Here’s a thought …
“I tend to think that I repeat myself, so I try to resist the temptation to return to what I have already explored.”
Louis Malle, 30 October 1932 – 23 November 1995.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        I think you’re right, Olga, there’s not many UK shows that ask you to define words: with the exception of Call My Bluff.   I don’t know if you ever caught it: it was in and out of the schedules for years.   (Alan Coren — Victoria Coren Mitchell’s father — was a team captain for years: as was Sandy Toksvig.)
        Good luck on the clocks front!

        Hello, Mum!

        I think everyone’s experimented with ChatGPT.   (I’ve used it once, to generate questions: ones I rigorously double checked and rewrote!   It’s handy for inspiration, I think, but not something I use.)
        Oh: this is on, on Wednesday.   I’ll try and get a copy over, but can’t guarantee it!

4 comments:

trev-v said...

I have my COVID booster this morning at the Chemist on the Ongar Road Brentwood.

Freda said...

1 Women
2 Denmark
3 Nuclear weapons
4 Sweden
5 Enigma machine

Olga said...

Q1) female members

Q2) Denmark

Q3) nuclear weapons

Q4) Sweden

Q5) the Enigma cipher machine
I'm sure I've caught Call My Bluff, but not sure if it was one of those programmes about TV...
I hope the vaccine and the weightloss meeting went well.

Debbi said...

To quote Arnold Rimmer: "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." :)

1. female members
2. Denmark
3. nuclear weapons
4. Sweden
5. the Enigma cipher machine