Tuesday 24 October 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 24th October 2023.

24th October, 2023.



It’s officially Tuesday: and I’m mildly surprised by what turns up in the post.

As you’re possibly aware?

I had trouble with my washing machine, last week: and gratefully received help from Trevor, in getting it repaired.

But what I did, the day the washer went wrong?

Was fill in the form for the Essential Living Fund run by Southend council.

The fund does grants for people in need, in Southend, Thurrock and the rest of Essex: and give awards as prepaid debit cards from Mastercard.

I figured applying couldn’t hurt: even if their card couldn’t be used to pay for a repair, any money they did give me could be spent on shopping, and allow me to spend cash on the repair.

It’s a way of moving money around, in other words.

Even if it would take a while to get through.

It got through.

Yesterday.

In the post.

After I got back from shopping … !

There’s possibly an irony, there!

At any rate … ?

I now know my local Nisa’s will take that thing: as I’ve put some extra money on my gas and electricity.

Some very welcome extra money on my gas and electricity.

It means I can possibly run the oven for long enough to cook some chilli: assuming I can use the thing at Sainsbury’s!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Mum scoring five out of five, and Debbi on four.

The day also saw Trevor§ leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        24th October is Food Day.   Where: Canada, the USA or Mexico?

Q2)        24th October also marks the founding of what: the UN, EU or KGB?

Q3)        Antoine Dominique Domino Jr. died on 24 October, 2017.   He was better known as which rock and roll icon?

Q4)        24th October is the feast day of Saint Proclus.   Saint Proclus of where: Constantinople, Rome or Naples?

Q5)        Finally … ?   24th October, 2003, saw the last commercial flight of the what: Concorde, Boeing 747 or the McDonnell Douglas DC10?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        23rd October is the feast day of Amon of Toul.   Where IS Toul: France, Jersey or Switzerland?
A1)        France.

Q2)        23rd October is Chulalongkorn Day.   It’s a public holiday that marks the passing of a King of where: Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia?
A2)        Thailand.   (The king in question died in 1910.)

Q3)        Apple released a well known device: on 23rd October, 2001.   Which device: the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac or Apple Watch?
A3)        The iPod.

Q4)        Who was re-elected as the General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party, on 23rd October, 2022: Xi Jinping, Mao Zedong or Ding Junhui?
A4)        Xi Jinping.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Wen Yanbo was born on 23rd October, 1006.   He was a senior official for which Chinese Imperial dynasty: Song, Shang, Northern Qi or McSweeney?
A5)        Song.   (Old established family, the Qi.)

Here’s a thought …
“Just to confirm to all my followers I have had a hair transplant.   I was going bald at 25 why not.”
Wayne Rooney, born 24 October 1985.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        It went well enough, Olga: and comparatively cheaply.   Having a loyalty card helps, sometimes.   (And I think they’re offering a lower price for razor blades, this week: that could be useful.)
        I have to confess, I keep eying up soya milk: but that is pricy!

        Hello, Mum!

        You’re right, Debbi, I missed out the McSweeneys!   (They’re from Beijing.)

§        I noticed, Trevor … (Play fair, I was rushed!)

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 USA
2 UN
3 Little Richard
4 Constantinople
5 Concorde

Olga said...

Q1) the USA

Q2) the UN

Q3) Fats Domino

Q4) Constantinople

Q5) Concorde
Good news about the prepaid card. I seem to remember seeing the sign in quite a few shops. I imagine somewhere like Sainsbury should take them, but one doesn't pay much attention to those things unless he has one of them.

Debbi said...

Hi there! I'm having all sorts of fun trying to upload a video. *sigh*

1. the USA
2. the UN
3. Fats Domino
4. Constantinople
5. Concorde