Monday 2 October 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 2nd October 2023.

2nd October, 2023.


Right … it’s Monday.

The first day of a whole new week.

So, frankly?

I’m up early: to get to a weight management meeting.

And then get back home: to let the boiler engineer in.

Hey ho!

~≈Α≈~

I watch the news: and I’m on benefits.

And very aware it’s Party Conference season.

The ruling Conservative Party’s conference?   Started, yesterday.

And today … ?

We’re expecting the Tory chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, to announce a couple of things.

An increase in the minimum wage: for those of us, working, this will be a bonus.

And cuts to benefits: if we refuse more than two jobs in a row.

From personal knowledge?

I know that benefits can already be cut, or suspended, if we do don’t do what the Job Centre tells us to do.

Frankly?

I fell that — in making this announcement — Mr Hunt is taking part in a rebranding exercise: to impress the voters.

I’m not surprised by that.

~≈Ω≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        2nd October, 1968, saw Sheila Thorn give birth to what: quins, sextuplets or septuplets?

Q2)        Jamal Khashoggi was killed in Turkey: on 2nd October, 2018.   He’d worked for which newspaper: The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post or The Sun?

Q3)        Guinea declared itself independent: on 2nd October, 1958.   From which European country?

Q4)        Michael Myers was expelled on 2nd October. 1980.   From where: the House of Representatives, Congress or the Senate?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Actor, Moses Gunn, was born on 2nd October, 1929.   He played ‘Bumpy’ Jonas in which 1971 film: Wild Rovers, The Jeffersons or Shaft?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        1st October is Independence Day in Tuvalu.   Marking its independence from where: the UK, France, Spain or Germany?
A1)        The UK.

Q2)        Tuvalu is in which ocean?
A2)        The Pacific.

Q3)        Name either one of Tuvalu’s two languages.
A3)        Tuvaluan or English.   You can read about the Tuvaluan language, here

Q4)        Who’s Tuvalu’s head of state: the President, the King or the Theocrat?
A4)        The King: the current monarch is Charles 3rd.

Q5)        Finally … ?   How many stars are on Tuvalu’s flag: eight, nine or ten?
A5)        Nine.

Here’s a thought …
“Hold on to your dream.   Don’t let the people shake you from your dream.   Don’t let form become more important than the substance of your heart and mind.”
Avery Brooks, born October 2, 1948.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        Hello, Mum!

        Oh, I know what you mean, there, Olga¶!   I worked with a woman from Glasgow, many years ago: how many times I asked her to slow down, I don’t know!

        I know what you mean, Debbi¶!   Music seems to be a universal, though: I’ve got “Jocko Homo” on in the background, and it’s as odd as it ever was … !


¶        Olga, Debbi, do you remember me mentioning I’d seen the deeply disturbing Threads, a little while back?   I’ve finally got around to starting the review: that should be done by tonight, I hope.

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 Sextuplets
2 Washington Post
3 France
4 House of Representatives
5 Shaft

Olga said...

Q1) sextuplets

Q2) The Washington Post

Q3) France

Q4) the House of Representatives

Q5) Shaft
Yes, I remember your comment about Threads. I suspect the review will be difficult to write (share) as well.
I hope you can manage to fit everything in. I know how difficult it is to juggle appointments!
(Regarding the benefits and job centre, I had read about it, and I remember reading that here [in Spain, in general] people complained because they might have signed on and they were never sent any job offers at all, sometimes for years. (I guess one should put a bit of a personal effort, as I know you do. On the other hand, a friend of mine, who had to leave her job because of Fibromyalgia and hasn't managed to get the condition recognised to get a benefit, got an offer almost straight away, for a job totally unsuited for her condition. When she went to speak to them directly they told her not to worry, that this was all automatised and they sent suggestions or offers to anybody who even vaguely match the offer, so it doesn't seem to tie up with he complaints. Unless those people live in places with very little offer.

Debbi said...

Even the name sounds creepy. :)

1. sextuplets
2. The Washington Post
3. France
4. the House of Representatives
5. Shaft

I'm literally typing this with one hand and my left middle finger. The only functional one, at this point.

I need a treatment. Bad ... :(