Thursday 15 September 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th September, 2022

15th September, 2022.


That’s something I felt I should mention.

Restart put me up for a job.

Or, to be clear?   They emailed me about a potential position: working from home for an outsourcing company with a contract with a major supermarket.

For the second time, I should add: it’s the same position they offered me, not long after I started the course.

I should also add that Restart is supposed to fund things I need for a new job.

The first problem?   I wasn’t too sure where the training was: although my (junior) Restart worker assured it would be at home.

The second?   Was a repeat of the one I faced the first time I discussed the position with Restart.

I’d need a computer for it.

Please remember, I’ve got two functioning Macs in the house, and a (PC) laptop running a version of Ubuntu.

But?   Going by the spec sheet I got given?

A computer would need to a PCdesktop or laptop — running Windows 10 or later, with a 1.8GHz processor, twenty gigabytes of spare hard drive space, and at least four gigabytes of RAM.   You would also need an extra monitor.

The spec sheet added that a computer running ChromeOS could not be used.

And that I should refer to the attached table for a list of Mac requirements.

A table that was wasn’t included in this version of the spec sheet: in the same way it wasn’t, last time.

As I’ve not got the required machine?

I asked about funding.

After checking on the prices on Amazon*.

And got politely turned down.

Again.

Frankly?

I’m not surprised.

Either that I got offered the post in the first place: Restart’s many agents don’t necessarily always read the notes about a client.

Or that I got turned down for funding.

I’m disappointed by this.

And, when I go to my next Job Centre meeting, planning to raise it with them.

I’ll try and let you know what happens.

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ and  putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.



The day also saw Trevorª leaving us a message.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        James Fenimore Cooper was born on 15th September, 1789.   His best known work was The Last of the what: Mohawks, Mohicans or Mugwumps?

Q2)        15th September, 1984, saw the birth of Prince Harry: the Duke of Sussex.   He’s what: fifth in line to the throne, sixth in line to the throne or seventh in line to the throne?

Q3)        15th September is World Lymphoma Awareness Day.   Lymphoma is a type of cancer that affects what: the brain, bones or the blood?

Q4)        15th September is the feast day of Saint Catherine of Genoa.   Where is Genoa: Italy, Malta or Spain?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Sophie Dahl was on born 15 September 1977.   She’s the granddaughter of which writer?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        14th September is Mobilised Servicemen’s Day.   For the armed forces of which country: Russia, Ukraine or Poland?
A1)        Ukraine.

Q2)        The Battle of South Mountain took place: on 14th September, 1862.   During which War: the US Civil War, World War Two or the War of Jenkins’ Ear?
A2)        The US Civil War.

Q3)        OPEC was founded on 14th September, 1960.   OPEC is the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting what?
A3)        Countries.

Q4)        Kiribati, Nauru and Tonga all joined the UN: on 14th September, 1999.   All three nations are in which ocean?
A4)        The Pacific.

Q5)        Finally … ? Amy Winehouse was born: on 14th September, 1983.   Her first LP was released in 2003.   What was it called: Frank or Back to Black?
A5)        Frank.
Here’s a thought … 
“All comedians are a bit attention-seeking and I'm no different.   Anyone with the audacity to want to be listened to for an hour and a half must be.”
Jimmy Carr, born 15 September 1972.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        On Amazon, you can pick a second hand laptop with the required spec for about £250: or a new one for about £600.   You would still need a second monitor.   You could pick up a new (mini) desktop for about £250 to £300.   But, again, would need a mouse, keyboard and two monitors: with adaptors, if needed.

        I’ve tracked down a copy of the fourth season, Olga: I really have to sit in with it!   Isn’t there a younger version of Felipe in the fourth series?   It sounds like the episode’s centred on Bloody Mary.   (As I’m sure you know, they were married: for about ten minutes!)
        Madrid’s possibly no worse than London, in that sense.   If I’ve understood it correctly?   The Metropolitan police are answerable to the Mayor: but have to provide a lot of help, advice and resources to other forces, and security for national events when asked by central government.   (The Queen’s funeral’s one: I’d imagine that’s a nightmare.)
        Hmmm … buying specific left handed mice — the ergonomic ones — would possibly be a waste of money, Olga: no one would use them.   Just having the usual symmetric mouse would be fine: so long as it’s on the left hand side of the desk, and I can change the settings that control which button does what!   The IT guy at Restart didn’t get that.


        Hello, Mum!

^        Phew!!!!!!    I was worried about you, there, Debbi!   I’m just grateful you’re still (metaphorically) here.   If you can let me know when you’re planning another outage, I’d appreciate it!
        Oh, JUST as a thought … ?   Dr Who magazine has announced the title of Jodie’s last episode: The Power of the Doctor.   They’re getting a little bit retro with that title, wouldn’t you say … ?

ª        You’ve mentioned it before now, Trevor.   It looks a fascinating piece!   Have you thought about volunteering for it?   Or, at least, offering up any remaining paperwork or scripts/code you had?   They may alway have some: but every bit helps, with museums.   (The one in the video powers up at the start: and sounds like Gerry Anderson provided the whirring noises!)

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 Monica's
2 5th
3 Bones
4 Italy
5 Raol Dahl

Olga said...

Q1) Mohicans

Q2) Fifth (I don’t understand why he should be in line to the throne if he decided to step down. I would have thought if you stepped down, you did it for everything and you’ve lost the place in the queue, and so has the rest of the family).

Q3) The blood

Q4) Italy

Q5) Roald Dahl
I understand the issue with the mouse software. I try to use Logitech (while I can afford it, mind you...) and they do come with their own software that you can adapt, but it might be overcomplicating things if every user started poking around (especially because many people might not really know what they were doing). I just thought that having something that can be plugged in might be easier than trying to get them to change the settings in all the computers, although, if the system is really interconnected and all the libraries used the same, it wouldn't be too complicated to update everything. (Well, in my experience, the simplest things always seem to be the most difficult, but, who knows?)
I am not surprised about the suggested job. First, as you say, people don't tend to go back too much when checking notes or information (especially if they are new to the job and still trying to find their feet and probably have too much work already to try and catch up with old stuff). That the job is still available doesn't sound too hopeful. I guess it might be something they always need people for, or the turnover is huge (I guess that is probably the issue), or perhaps the requirements are putting a lot of people off. Some of these jobs require so much investment compared with the pay and conditions they offer, that they are not worth the effort.
I hope something better (or at least more appropriate) comes along soon.

Debbi said...

Sounds like it. :)

1. Mohicans
2. fifth in line to the throne
3. the blood
4. Italy
5. Roald Dahl