Sunday 4 June 2023

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-6-2023 — Video Killed the Radio Star.

4th June, 2023.


Right … it’s a Sunday.

And you’ve possibly noticed I’ve not through in any variation of the word, ‘official’, there!

I’m in a funny mood!

At any rate … ?

I had my nephew, Jude, over, yesterday.

We managed to visit a local games shop called Retro Giant: where a couple of games caught his eye.

Oh, and yes: he’s done a video about a drink, and a movie … 


~≈Í≈~

Just as a quick thought … ?

The cost of living is getting worse!

Trust me on that!

So … ?

This page on the BBC’s site … ?

Will probably give us something to think about.

~≈Í≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Debbi† and Mum‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        4th June saw JVC introduce VHS cassettes and machines: at that year’s Consumer Electronic Show.   In which year of the 1970s?

Q2)        VHS stands for Video Home what?
Q3)        VHS was used to record what: music, TV shows or radio shows?

Q4)        Those recordings were what: analogue or digital?

Q5)        Finally … ?   VHS was a type of cassette.   That contained what: plastic tape, ribbon or paper?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        3rd June is World Bicycle Day.   How many wheels does a bicycle have?
A1)        Two.

Q2)        Those wheels are attached to what ‘F’: a frame, firework or Flump?
A2)        A frame.

Q3)        A (human-powered) bicycle has one wheel connected to a chain, which is connected to gears, connected to what: pedals, wings or doors?
A3)        Pedals.

Q4)        BMX racing is also known as Bicycle Moto … what?
A4)        Bicycle Moto cross.

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Victorian bicycle named after two types of coins, was the penny … what?
A5)        The Penny farthing.   (The penny in question was the rough size of a modern two pence piece.   I believe the farthing¶ was about the size of a modern five pence: but I don’t know for sure.)

Here’s a thought … 
“The VHS cassette is a 187 mm wide, 103 mm deep, 25 mm thick (73⁄8*41⁄16*1 inch) plastic shell held together with five Phillips head screws.”
From the Wikipedia entry on VHS.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        It’s definitely food for thought, Olga.   I think we’re more aware of these things, post-Saville.   But I’m also think the press reporting would be different … if he were dating a younger woman!
        Yeah: I was up early, as I was expecting Jude, early.   Boy, that video took some work!

        Oh, 6O1 has dozens of them, Debbi!   From what I recall?   The information the club had dug up, said McGoohan told the press the bike was an “ironic symbol of progress.”   Apparently.
        Oh, the older chap in “Arrival”?   Who grabbed the Penny Farthing?   Apparently, was one of the few remaining people in the country that knew how to ride one!
        I seem to recall there was some sort of scandal about 6O1, a few years ago: lots of people jumping ship.




        Hello, Mum … !

        I wrote that question a few days ago: without comparing the two coins.   Looking at that photo I took?   I’m now thinking putting a modern 2p piece, next to the old (decimal) ½p would be a better comparison.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1976
Q2) System
Q3) TV shows
Q4) Analogue
Q5) Plastic tape
I think you're right about the gender thing, but, although I haven't dug into it in any detail, it seems that he met the boy when he was 10, so it goes beyond he just being younger...
I have very fond memories of VHS videos and some still hanging around, although I have no idea why, because I don't have any way of watching them. I bought a TV-video combo that allowed me to watch US videos as well, because one of the movies I was discussing on my PhD didn't exist on DVD format and I could only find one in the US American format. In the end, I didn't include that chapter on my thesis, but the TV wasn't too expensive.
Sorry if I end up publishing this twice, but the website wouldn't allow me to share the comment, so I'm not sure if it went through in the end.

Freda said...

1 1976
2 Video Home System
3 TV Shows
4 Analogue
5 Plastic tape

Debbi said...

I can just imagine the scandal, if there was one.

1. 1977
2. System
3. TV shows
4. digital
5. plastic tape

An ironic symbol of progress? That's really interesting.

I think Patrick and I would have gotten along. :) Maybe. He could be a bit ... um ... interesting. :)