Sunday, 8 January 2012

Dr Who Episode 9: Night Terrors

(Originally Posted on Nik Nak And Grub’s Who Peculiar, on 3 September 2011 19:59:00)

You know, I’ve GOT to confess …

I’m impressed.

Rather definitely!

Impressed is the word … !

Although LORD know’s what Grub — and more importantly his daughter — will make of tonight’s episode of Dr Who.

You see …

I’m thinking I’ve not necessarily seen the best episode of the entire new series of Dr Who: but am personally convinced I’ve seen the best episode of series 6.

And considering I thought the two part Rebel Flesh/Almost People was the prize winning pairing of the season, that’s saying something … !

Night Terrors — written by Mark Gatiss and directed by Richard Clark — sees the Doctor, Amy and Rory summoned to Earth by telepathic cries for help from a very scared little boy called George, on an unnamed housing estate, somewhere in England.

A little boy who is both not entirely what he seems.

And one who’s incredibly scared “… of the monsters” …

Seemingly … ?

George had got something nasty in the wardrobe.

Which sounds ambiguous, I know …

Until we find that George, unbeknownst to his parents, is something of a benevolent cuckoo child: a member of a species called the Tenza, whose mild telepathic ability are causing havoc in the flat where he lives.

Havoc that includes trapping his father, and the Doctor and his crew, in a dolls house in the bottom of the wardrobe.

»»·««

Now …

About impressed … ?

Yes, I am, actually …

You see, I’ve been loving the feel of this series, over all.

But HAVE to admit that the overall story arc — about River/Melody and whoever it is that she kills — is …

Well, isn’t boring: it’s entertaining and wonderful to watch.

But Night Terrors … ?

DOES mark a nice break, a nice little change of pace.

AND a nice little episode in and of itself …

AND adds what I think are one of the three creepiest monsters I’ve seen in new Dr Who.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.