Saturday, 21 January 2012

Insidious: A Review

21st January, 2012

OK, OK, I’ll grant you, it’s not that often I leave a film review, this late.

But I quietly watched a film last night …

And wanted SOMETHING of a clear head when it came down to writing up what I thought.

One that WASN’T clogged up with tiredness toxins, in other words …

»»·««

The film in question … ?

The film in question was the James Wan directed, 2011 film, Insidious.

Insidious sees the young family of Josh and Renai Lambert moving to a new home with their three children.

And moving out, soon afterwards, after a series of events leads to their eldest son, Dalton, ending up in a mysterious coma.

A coma, they’re told, has seen him astrally projecting to a supernatural realm where his soul is in severe danger of possession.

By something

»»•««

Now … ?

Am I impressed … ?

Am I though … ?

Yes …

Yes, I think I am.

Now, I’ll happily grant that Insidious isn’t necessarily the greatest horror movie ever made: nor the one with the biggest budget.

Much like indie Brit-horror-flick, Outpost, Insidious isn’t an out and out gore-fest. What it IS, however, is a film that does it’s best to scare you silly, by giving you a case of the serious creeps.

And, like Outpost — and possibly the original, 1970s version of The Wicker Man — does so by putting every penny on screen, with creepy backing-lighting and camera-angles, solid acting, and tightly paced, writing: all three of which, for my money, working JUST as well as a going over from Weta Workshop or ILM.

I think I’m going to suggest what I did with Outpost.

And suggest you see Insidious.

Insidious
★★★☆

1 comment:

  1. I have got the film on blu ray and although its not what i call a brilliant film, i liked it enough to watch again as it does have a few jumpy bits. I do like the song tiptoe through the tulips as it is a classic eerie tune and i like to sing it much to Stefan`s annoyance lol.
    I do prefer a horror film that will scare the crap out of me rather than lots of gore so i guess this is the film for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.