Saturday, 14 January 2012

Cloverfield: Bombs, evacuations … And a FINE Found Footage Film!

Oh, now I’ve GOT to admit — and I know I use the word often enough to have the relevant page marked in the nearest thesaurus — I’m impressed.

You can TELL I’m impressed.

Usually, because I make a point of telling you … !

This time … ?

This time, though, I’m definitely impressed, definitely want to repeat the word for emphasise …

And definitely want to tell you why.

You see …

I’ve just had Kevin D over, for the evening: complete with his copy of the 2008, Matt Reeves film, Cloverfield.

And impressed is definitely the word for the film.

‹‹†››

Shot in a ‘found footage’ style, Cloverfield sees a small group of New York based friends holding a surprise party for Robert “Rob” Hawkins — played by Michael Stahl-David — to celebrate his leaving for Japan, and a new job.

A party which goes as well as one can expect — gossip, drunks, an old friend, wandering around with a steady cam — until, fairly late in the evening, an extra — and VERY unexpected — guest, arrives.

Destroys a building.

Oh.

And knock’s off the head of the Statue of Liberty

‹‹·››

Now, about the one hundred and one uses of the word, ‘impressed’ that I’ve used, over the years … ?

I really have to look at a thesaurus at some point, won’t I … ?

At any rate, though … ?

I think I’m justified in using it, in the case of Cloverfield.

Usually … ?

Recent ‘found footage’ style films that Kevin and I have watched have been — if not ropey — than certainly debatable: Apollo 18* in particular.

Cloverfield, on the other hand … ?

Cloverfield is a very good example of the ‘found footage’ style, certainly making others I’ve seen into a cocked hat.

Whether it matched the hype — it famously had a very good viral marketing campaign — I really couldn’t tell you.

But I DO know it had two very pleased viewers, last night …

Cloverfield.
Paul: ★★★☆
Kevin: ★★★☆
Average: ★★★☆












* Kevin D, when he’s on form, can be very creative: ESPECIALLY when it comes to movies he doesn’t like. Trust me, this tweet doesn’t even START … !

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.