
(Originally posted on 24 September 2011 20:10:00, on Nik Nak and Grub’s Who Peculiar)
Hmmm …
I might even go as far as Hmmmmmm …
Although don’t tell Grub I actually said so, please … !
You see …
I’m actually not impressed with tonight’s episode of Dr Who.
Hmmm …
Maybe that’s not the right phrase, there.
But I’m fairly sure that episode 12 — Closing Time — is going to go down in history as something of a lightweight.
At any rate …
Closing Time sees the Doctor — without Amy and Rory — paying a visit to his old friend — and former landlord — Craig — Daniel Corden, reprising his role from last years The Lodger — just when a series of strange power cuts start hitting both Craig’s home town: focused on a nearby department store called S & Gs.
Those cuts … ? Along with the associated disappearances … ? Are all tied in with the Cybership that’s stuck under the department store: and using tunnels and it’s one remaining cybermat to drain electrical energy to rebuild the crew.
»»—««
Now …
I was saying about unimpressed … ?
Yes, I think that’s DEFINITELY the case, here, with Closing Time.
And here’s WHY, though …
You, for this sixth series, Moffat and co have — as you’ve probably already noticed — been running that Silence Will Fall/Impossible Astronaut story line.
And what I’m thinking, here, is that, while each individual story is good, as is the overarching story, I don’t think they’ve been as sewn together as well as one could possibly have thought.
I can’t complain too much: I doubt VERY much if I could do as well. I’m also thinking that this is new territory to Steven Moffat. AND to the show, itself: after all, that through-story has only been done — to my knowledge — only twice before, with The Key To Time and The Trial of a Timelord.
And I’m also aware — from various sources — that the main cast have been booked up for series 7.
So, as disappointing as I may have found Closing Time — an episode struggling to both enough time to it’s story AND to the story-arc* — I’m ALSO aware that Moffat and co are doing something fairly radical for Dr Who.
Introducing a story arc: one I think’s certainly going to last until next year.
Here’s hoping it pays off.
After all, what with one thing and another, it seems that a fairly significant date in 2013 …
Is going to be a Saturday.
* To borrow an old phrase from Terry Pratchett, it’s too short for Richard and too long for Dick.
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.