Sunday, 1 January 2012

Sherlock Series 2: A Scandal in Belgravia

Oh, now hang on … !

That …

Is definitely it … !

Now you’re possibly thinking, “Slow down, Paul, what’s got you … ?”

I’ll be frank … ?

It’s tonight’s first episode of the second season of Sherlock, the Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss/Beryl Vertue update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s best loved character, Sherlock Holmes.

Tonight’s episode … ?

Tonight’s episode, if you haven’t guessed from the title, is updated series take on A Scandal in Bohemia, called A Scandal in Belgravia.

‹‹·››
2/1/2012
Sorry, sorry, I know, I’ve left it a little long … !

But I’ve been having all sorts of fun with vlc, HandBrake and MPEG Streamclip: I might just fill you in later, if I get the chance.

At any rate, let’s carry on from where I left you, shall I … ?

Yes …

I’ll happily admit to have watched the first series of the Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss/Beryl Vertue update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories, called simply Sherlock.

Last night’s episode, A Scandal in Belgravia, was both the opening episode for the second of the updated series, and that updates take on A Scandal in Bohemia.

A Scandal in Belgravia sees Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman reprising their roles as Holmes and Watson*, and follows on —almost directly — from the closing episode of series 1.

After showing us how Holmes and Watson manage to get clear of Moriartyº, events move to both London and the Lake District: where, as Holmes is helping clear up the mysterious death of a hiker, he’s summoned to Buckingham Palace by his brother, Mycroft.

Where he and Dr Watson are asked to retrieve a set of photos from a high class dominatrix called Irene Adler.

A case that goes rapidly astray, as Ms Adler proves more of a match than out heroes expect.

‹‹·››

Now …

Am I impressed … ?

Yes, I surely am … !

The Moffat/Gatis/Vertue writing crew have shown themselves to to be an eminently capable batch of writers, and with this particular episode … ?

I’m thinking Moffat’s done rather well.

Can I make a suggestion, here … ?

If you can get hold of A Scandal in Belgravia … ?

I’m going to suggest you watch it.

I think you’re going to find yourself watching a very good piece of drama.











* In a throwaway line in last nights episode, Watson reveals that his middle name is Hamish. I know they probably made that up: or read their Sayers. But I have to admit, I’ve been wondering for years …

º That was possibly the most impressive use of the awkwardly timed phone call I’ve ever seen!

2 comments:

  1. Nice review of the episode.

    For a different look at this episode, check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.